Tonga huts are used as observation posts to alert on intruders or impending danger from a vantage point.
In Shona culture it tells about a place for discussion of topical issues.
From an economical viewpoint it is a transitory structure between the home and field for our produce-awaiting decision to sell or store for future use.
In our situation it is then a melting pot for the community issues be they political, economical or social-as long as they are medium/dialogues for positive development.
- Kariba constituency has two district: 1. Kariba urban with nine wards, 2. Nyaminyami with 12 wards.
- The two are separated by the one and only pride of Zimbabwe Lake.
- Kariba is the gateway to Zambia
- The area has the Tonga- korekore people
What is Patsaka-Nyaminyami community radio?
- Patsaka-Nyaminyami community radio is a community radio initiative owned and controlled by the community of Kariba. The initiative seeks to provide a radio broadcasting service to the people of Kariba thereby bringing in an element of media diversity in Zimbabwe.
- The solid community base that Patsaka-Nyaminyami community radio has established encourages and allows community participation.
- There is an ongoing exercise to elect ward committees in each of the 9 wards in the city of Kariba and 12 wards in the rural Nyaminyami. These committees are responsible for initiating and organizing the community radio activities in their wards.
- It is from ward committees that Patsaka-Nyaminyami community radio draws members of its general council, which is the highest decision-making body of the organisation. The community radio is meant to tackle topical issues affecting the community.